Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Advisory: This Ain't Disney!

Though some animation purist say that computer animation like that of Pixar is cold and too rendered, I would have to disagree. Quite some time ago when I was bored and channel surfing I came across a television program describing the process and effort put into creating Pixar's Monster Inc. The blue monster (I can't recall his name) had each and every individual hair on his body rendered and programmed to interact with its surroundings to make it more realistic. When I took a look at the the creature, it was extremely hairy telling me that there was a lot of effort and time put into it, I am surprised that the animation artist didn't rip out his own hair. Each and every hair on this creature is able to interact with the environment where ever this monster was placed in, every individual hair was alive along with this monster, which I find shocking that some artist consider this cold animation. Traditional hand drawn animation is very time consuming. Animators must redraw characters over and over again ever so slightly altering little bits and pieces to get something to move, some hand drawn animations I've watch just get lazy and reuse the same scene over and over again as a filler. Traditional hand drawn animation have also been improved using computer technology. Probably two or three years ago Disney had improved traditional hand drawn animations such as Snow White and Cinderella using computer technology to improve colour and quality of these animations. Editing these old animations is similar to creating 3D animations, you're both using the computer and hand drawn images as a base for the animations. I would much better prefer computer animation over hand drawn animations. If you can produce the same work faster and maybe even better, why not?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home